Thursday, September 14, 2006

Jealousy

Alright, I am going to let you in on a little secret... Shhh...Are you ready? Okay. Here goes.

We use the word “boobs” at my house.


Now you know. Not the most conservative, toddler appropriate term to use, and yet easy to say and less crass than many other synonyms.


I make this confession to you, so that I may tell my story.


Now, it's not a secret that I am breastfeeding Spider. We do call it “nursing” around here (not boob-feeding, like you might be inclined to believe) and it is a source of much jealousy for my two older children. Reenie is jealous because it takes Mommy's time and attention. E is jealous because he too would like to be able to breastfeed Spider.


I kid you not.


The other day E and Spider were laying on the floor together when E begins to lift up his shirt and ask the baby if she would like to nurse. He and I then had the following, emotional conversation.


Me: E, you can't nurse because you don't have boobs.
E: Yes, I do.
Me: NO you don't.
E: (Getting tearful and lifting his shirt) Yes I do, they are right here.
Me: Okay.
E: (Whining) I have little boobs.
Me: Okay.
E: (Still whining) You have big boobs.


And then I could not argue. He is a very perceptive child.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is the greatest!!!! my nephew is very perceptive as well - he knows when his mommy is talking about pregnant women that there are babies in their stomachs, and he wants to see the babies. Then he pooches out his belly and says he has a gray alien inside (b/c he saw an ultrasound pic one time - looks like a gray alien to me too :) )

Alicia said...

Hehe! I have a most adorable picture of Little Boy trying to nurse a doll! He didn't know babies were fed any other way...

Julie said...

Ah, the memories. My youngest just would NOT nurse so instead I would pump and bottle feed her. I had one of those fancy Medela double pumps. So son (3 at the time) would of course watch with what was supposed to look like nonchalance.

Then at Thanksgiving (surrounded by family) he finds two long "tubing-like" things from a toy, lifts his shirt, puts them on his nipples and loudly proclaims "Look mama, I'm pumpin'"

We about died laughing! And yes, we call them boobs too :-)

Nicole said...

LOL! He is a very perceptive child, and hey, he was trying to help feed the baby.

beth said...

I can just hear him whining about your big boobs:) It's so sweet that he wants to BOOB FEED too. Sounds like he'll be one with a great respect for women.

Emily said...

that's cute; someday the poor guy is gonna realize he'll NEVER get to breastfeed! oh, the humanity!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious and cute! :)

Sarah Jean said...

Heh, I had similar conversations with my daughters, but I just told them when they were old enough, their breasts would get big to feed their babies. My kids are Girl-Girl-Boy, so I don't know what I would tell a boy! My girls have all breastfed dolls, though. When their brother wants to play dolls, they won't let him breastfeed, but dig up a bottle for him. It's funny fun!

The Estrogen Files said...

ROTFL!! My little girls sure did love "nursing" their babies, too. Not sure my boy would do that, since he's the baby at 2yrs. Gotta love those precocious little men!