Saturday, February 08, 2014

Disneyland: The Preparation

So we went to Disneyland last week.  It was super awesome, and super exhausting and I want to tell you about it.


I am a super-planner, people.  I spent 5-7 hours on the internet just trying to find a hotel.  We ended up staying here:  http://www.homewoodsuitesanaheim.com/

This will probably be my most boring post.  However, I want you to know what I did to prepare!

What I did ahead of time:

*Read the Unofficial Guide Cover to Cover.  I bought it for the Kindle and was able to put it on my phone and refer to it while were in line.  

*Subscribed to Touringplans.com  and downloaded their lines app so we could know wait times for rides.  

*Booked the Hotel, Airfare and managed to find a deal on Park Hoppers from CheapTickets.com

* Made reservations at Cafe Orleans for dinner one night.  I was super excited for Monte Cristos, Pommes Frites, and Mickey Shaped Beignets.  The reservation saved us time waiting.

*Made matching shirts and bandanas.  We didn't wear them every day, but it made it easy to find each other.


*Used Henna to tattoo my kids' names and my phone number onto the inside of their arms.  The big kids refused, but Squish and Spider were forced to oblige.  Sharpie would have worked too, but henna is lighter and less blaring in your face.  Plus, we had some so why not?  We did Mickey tattoos also.

What we took:

*Fanny packs.  Super dorky, I know this.  But it is really great for the kids to have their own pack that they can keep snacks in.

*Ponchos:  One kid used it one time on the river ride at California Adventure.  He stayed dry.  Charming suggests a way to keep your feet dry.  Bags for your feet?

*I used my Amazon Prime to ship some snacks and sunscreen to the hotel.  The pouch applesauces were gone in two days, the goldfish lasted longer.  I didn't want to pay to check my bags to have sunscreen, so we shipped it.

* Each kid and adult had their own rolling suitcase.  I only packed outfits for three days even though we were going for 6, and I did laundry a couple of times.  I wanted room in the suitcases for souvenirs.  It worked out well, but my kids are 7, 9, 11 and Squish (who just turned 3, but was technically 2).  

*Squish's stroller.  She rode in style.

*Sunglasses.  The kids all had a pair, but Charming and I forgot ours, of course.

*We also took the iPad for the airplane ride and I made sure there was at least one movie.

*I tried to get the kids pumped and tell us what rides they wanted to go on, but it didn't work out well.  They didn't get into it until we got there.

What I wish we had done:

*Shipped more snacks.  We ended up going to Target and buying more different things, but to me, time at the store is not time having fun.

*Brought blister bandaids.  I was fairly convinced I wouldn't get blisters.  I didn't actually get them, but I was pretty close.

*Not much else, overall, we weren't at a loss for much.  Now you can wait a few more days to hear about all the actual fun we had.



No comments: