Monday, July 31, 2006

Monday Morning Confessions: Pregnancy

Well, I am 37 weeks this week. Some things I love about being pregnant, and some things I don't:

1. My body

I love it, love it, love it. I love being so curvy and voluptuous and having a good reason for it. (And I love not feeling guilty about brownies and ice cream). Charming likes my body too, and that's a plus. Of course there is one exception to my body self-love:

2. My butt

Yeah, I am not so big in the belly this pregnancy, but I noticed the other day that my butt is. In fact, I would go so far to say that my rear end is bigger than my belly. Not good. Not good at all.

3. The constant need to pee

Is it some kind of punishment? I mean, seriously. Is it very important that I need to use the toilet every 15 minutes, and sometimes just to dribble out almost nothing? At my baby shower during my last pregnancy, my friends had to guess my least favorite thing about pregnancy, and most said bedrest, since I had been on it for 9 weeks between the two pregnancies. But they were wrong. Need to pee. Hate it.

4. Feeling Baby Move

Unless I am trying to sleep and the child is keeping me awake, this is pretty much my favorite thing. Not to be cheesy, but it's pretty magical. It's the one thing that I miss once they're on the outside. Special. Really Special

5. The Braxton-Hicks Contractions

Really, I like to call these "fakey" contractions, since whoever Braxton-Hicks was, they certainly didn't invent the darn things, though it was nice of them to take the credit for them. Let me tell you that I love and hate these suckers. I like them because I feel like my body is doing something, and every one of them makes me that much closer to the big day. I don't like them because they are starting to be painful and because every one of them makes me think I am that much closer to the big day. And because I have so many, it is hard for me to know when I am really in labor (hence why Reenie was born 10 minutes after we got to the birth center.)

6. My wardrobe

Again, mixed feelings. I have some really cute stuff that I can only wear during pregnancy, but 9 months of the same stuff is a bit long... Especially towards the end when I only have one outfit that fits. And after the birth? No good at all, even though they are usually all that fits.

Your turn. If you've been pregnant, what did you like? What did you hate? If you haven't been pregnant but you've had a friend or relative who has, what did you like or hate about them during their pregnancy? (Be as nice as you can). Tell me, I want to know.

8 comments:

Denise Gallagher said...

I am 35 weeks pregnant and I agree with all of your likes and dislikes. My definite top of the list is feeling my baby boy kick. At the end of the day, I can relax in my big green recliner and watch my stomach move and sometimes while I'm at work, he'll kick me as if to say, "hello."
Not feeling guilty about eating Banana Pudding ice cream is a definite plus too!
On the downside... top of the list is incontinence. I was diagnosed with reflux, which hasn't caused heartburn but a cough... and every time I cough, I pee. I feel like an infant myself... having to change my own diaper!
I am counting down the days and am extremely anxious to meet my new son... but I know that I will miss that feeling of him moving safely inside.

Good luck to you and have a safe and happy delivery!

Anonymous said...

I loved being pregnant. I loved feeling the baby move, I loved how perfect strangers would ask when I'm due, I loved the stylish clothes I borrowed from friends, I loved the vivid and strange dreams, and the larger bosom.

I didn't love being hot with swelling feet, the foot in my rib cage, or the nausea the first few months.

Ginger said...

When I was pregnant, I loved to feel the baby move, and watch him when he was big enough.

The downside was trying to get around in such an over-sized version of myself. I liked the way that I looked pregnant, but it seemed like I would foget sometimes just how far out I went. And carrying around the extra 35 lbs. really slowed me down (although I still say I _never_ waddled).

Erin said...

I loved the fact that I've had two easy, non-complicated pregnancy. My babies were very mellow inside, and if I wasn't paying attention I wouldn't notice them, and get worried and have to start counting because I didn't think they had moved enough. I love the fact that up until the last month or so I didn't feel pregnant, if it weren't for the obvious signs I would be clueless. I loved my little boys reaction to it and look forward to seeing my kids reaction when we decide for number three.
A lot of women talk about how great it is to have an increase in breast size. Yes I had one, but since I was already a C cup the change didn't seem so dramatic which can be good and bad.

Anonymous said...

I love finding out that I have that new life inside of me, just before the desperate vomiting begins. I love that precious secret. I can't wait for it again.

Tammy said...

My two pregnancies were kind of different...with the first one, I had terrible back pain during the second trimester. With my second, not so much at all. But each time, I loved the new curvy body since there was such a good excuse for it, as you said.
Loved feeling the baby kick...but wow, we were sure the second one was going to be a football player! Even my husband could literally see the kicks! But it turns out it was another dainty little girl. And BOTH girls are good soccer players!

Blessings to you as you enjoy these last few weeks!
~Tammy

Mrs. Andrews said...

I love being pregnant also. No guilt! I'm with you on the need to pee. You have to go soooo bad, and then you hardly go at all. MISERABLE!!! But definitely worth it. And besides that, my pregnancies were always very good, and like I said - I love being pregnant! Don't get any ideas, I'm done having kids!!!

Anonymous said...

week 39-40 I can't fit into anything but my husbands clothes.

The last three months all I want to eat is French Toast for three meals of the day.