Saturday, September 24, 2005

Fancy Fingernails

So Mike and I went on a "big date" last night. It was the spouse shipping party forthe PC team of Tiger Woods Golf. His boss gave us moolah to go shopping with at the Gateway (nice mall in SLC) , took us out to dinner and paid for a movie. It was great. I think it is probably the first time I have been away from Serena for more than 3 hours.

Anyway. In preparation for the "big date" I thought maybe I should do my nails. I got out my new french manicure kit that I bought from the Avon lady (who may actually be an Avon man) and began the process. The problem was this: if you're a mom, as soon as your hands are "unavailable," situations arise where using your hands is unavoidable. The older child removes the baby gate, allowing the baby to climb up the stairs. The children fight. The baby poops (this was luckily before I got the polish on). But nonetheless, I did mangage to get all of my fingertips painted a lovely white. On to step two. This step involved painting a "sheer" pink color over the entire fingernail. This is where disaster occured.

I don't know what the problem was. Perhaps I am a nail painting idiot-- this is a possibility since it has been 2 years since I last painted my nails, but less likely since I learned all the tricks of the trade when I worked at a spa several years ago. Perhaps the nail polish was faulty, or even old, who knows! But when I painted it on, it was uneven and far from sheer. It made the lovely white tips of my nails very pinky and they kind of looked dirty.

So here was the dilemma-- Should I try again? Maybe I could just do the white and forget the pink. Did I have time? Was it worth it? I looked at my poor fingernails. "I'm sorry," I said as I got out the nail polish remover. There is a reason it has been two years since I've given myself a manicure. I don't have time for it, and caring for my physical appearance has moved way down on my priority list-- it's more important that I care for my house, husband and children. So with my nails looking worse than when I started, I went to put make-up on my face (also a special treat). We went on our date, had a wonderful time, and was no worse off for having ordinary looking fingernails.

2 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

You're not sure if your avon sales rep is a man or a woman? Scary! You can turn on word verification on your blog and you'll stop getting dumb spam comment posts like that.

Stephanie said...

Well, the catalog had a lady's name on it and when I called I got a lady's message, but I only ever interacted with her "husband." He took my orders and even delivered my stuff. I think it's really his business and he's just pretending that he has a wife and she does Avon.