Monday, September 26, 2005

Poos and Wees

Serena loves to imitate. She loves to run a comb through her non-existent hair, help sweep the floor and use a washcloth to wipe up imaginary spills on the carpet. Yesterday when I was finishing up with Ethan and his poopy diaper, she grabbed a wipe and started "helping." It was quite a sight, my little one-year-old daughter wiping the bum of her three-year-old big brother. Hilarious.

Later that day we had two "miracles" involving Ethan and his potty training. The first amazing incident occurred when Ethan didn't quite make it to the potty in time. I came into the bathroom to find him washing his hands while standing in a puddle of yellow. The miracle was this: there was no pee on his pants. His underwear, yes. His socks and shoes, of course. But his pants had not a touch of pee. Not on the cuffs, not on the crotch.

The second potty miracle was that Ethan went poo-poo on the potty! And they all rejoiced. I think I could hear angels in our bathroom singing the Hallelujah Chorus. If you don't have children, think about how elated you were when you got your first job, or when you got engaged. Those joys do not even come close to the delight and happiness we felt when Ethan had a bm in the toilet. He just went in there by himself and did it. In fact when I "caught" him doing it he said, "Don't come in here," so I was thus convinced that he had really done the job and wasn't just sitting over a toilet bowl with poops forgotten by someone else. He really pooped in the toilet. Hooray!

On another note, whenever I go to the grocery store Itake special care to always put my shopping cart back in the cart receptacle or inside the store. Sometimes I feel tempted to not do so if I am far from a cart return and my children are in the car. I even feel like I would be justified if I just left the cart in front of my car and drove off, but guilt always convinces me that the right thing, the thing that Jesus would do, would be to put the cart back in its place. I now know the kind of people who leave their carts in front of their cars. People who have NO reason to, people who have NO justification in doing so. Today at Smith's Marketplace (Fred Meyer) after I loaded my trunk with my groceries, I pushed my cart about 100 feet and put it in the cart return. There was a woman right next to me also loading up her groceries. She saw me return my cart. She had no children. She wasn't moving very fast so I know she was not in a hurry. She pushed her cart in front of her car and drove away! I couldn't believe it! Of course I could have taken it back for her, but I did not. Secretly I hoped that everyone had seen that the woman with the small children had returned her cart and that the clearly unburdened woman had not. I also feared that people would think that I had left the cart. I probably should have returned it, but I felt pretty justified in leaving it.

No comments: