Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The search for Thomas

As a single person, I never would have thought that one day I would be on the phone trying to find places that carried Thomas the Tank Engine underwear. But today, now being married and a mom, that is what I found myself doing.

I found the undies easily enough on the internet-- the first place I turn when looking to buy a specific something. But I simply could not pay $7.99 for underwear and then $6.50 for shipping. It's not like it is Calvin Klein Thomas the Tank Engine underwear. Hanes. Thomas the Tank Engine Underwear by Hanes. So I sucked it up and started calling around-- convinced that no one would have it. (I have never seen it in store, but I have never looked for it either).

I made two calls without success, and then felt that I should return to the internet to see if there was a Thomas store somewhere here in Utah. There was not. I turned to the Hanes website. I looked for a store in my area that carried their products, with no guarantee that they would carry Thomas.

I still really didn't want to make the calls. I just felt so stupid for some reason. Like maybe people would think I wanted them for me, or something. It's like the embarrassment you feel when you go to buy birth control. I mean, I shouldn't have felt so silly, it's not like I was looking for Thomas the Train condoms or something. Finally I realized that the person on the other end would not know who I was anyway. If they didn't have them, maybe they would hang up the phone and have a good laugh at my expense with their co-workers. I would never know, so big whoop. But if they DID have them, then hey, lucky me.

I called Fred Meyer (Smith's).

Me: You carry children's underwear, right? (duh)

Lady: Yes.

Me: Do you have Thomas the Tank Engine Underwear? (I'm feeling silly).

Lady: What size?

Me: ummm... 3T? (Why is she asking what size?)

Lady: Yes we do.

Me: Really? (Did she hear me right?)

Lady: Yep.

Me: Okay! Thank you.

So, still not convinced that they had them, I went to the store to purchase my prize. And guess what? Ethan will soon be the owner of Thomas the Tank Engine undies, because they had them and I bought them. Yea, me. I saved $6.50. I got me some undies.

No comments: