Thursday, September 29, 2005

Problematic

Yesterday was a battle with my post-partum depression. I'm getting really frustrated because I have been on medication for several months now, and am starting to feel like I want to stop taking it. I feel like my brain is ready to handle the world without Sidekick Lexapro. But then I have days like yesterday and get so mad and upset about the whole thing.

All day long it was like I had constant anxiety, although I am not sure anxiety is the right word. I just felt antsy and unsettled. I felt like I was waiting for something, and I just couldn't get myself to a place of contentment. I called friends. I tried to do projects. I cleaned. I prayed. I read my scriptures. I was fine whenever I was doing an activity, but whenever I stopped I got all antsy again. So not only was I antsy all day, I felt like I was second guessing myself too:

What do you want, Brain? What is it that I am supposed to be doing to fix you? I'm going to call a friend now. NO? That won't fix you? How about reading my scriptures? WHAT? That's supposed to always work! AAAAAAHHHHH! I am losing my mind!!!!!!!

Well, we'll see how today goes. In other news, Mike put three of the sticks in the ground on Saturday. We have to do four more still. I'm pretty sure they're going to die.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Lisa Carter and i would like to show you my personal experience with Lexapro.

I am 39 years old. Have been on Lexapro for 2 years now. This medication had an almost immediate positive effect on my life. Within 2 to 3 days of starting Lexapro, there was a noticeable lift in my general mood. A WARNING ABOUT STOPPING OR WEANING OFF LEXAPRO: I started taking 10 mg daily a couple of years ago for about 2 months, then decided I just didn't want to take medicine every day. So I weaned myself off over a 2-wk period, first reducing the dose to 5 mg/day, then 5 mg every other day before I stopped altogether. I figured I would be able to tell if my mood was going downhill and I would just restart if it did. Well, there was no gradual decline. I was careful to monitor my mood and thoughts every day and everything went great for about 3 months, then C.R.A.S.H!!! I mean it hit me like a WALL, very very suddenly! Despite exercising 4-5x per week, healthy eating, etc., I hit an all-time low.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Constant dull headache, jittery in the morning if taken before bed, dizziness. These negative side effects subsided within a week or two. Other side effects have continued, including sleepiness and yawning, apathy, vivid (but great) dreams. My libido died and never came back.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Lisa Carter