Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Things that Grow... and then Talk Smack

I am always amazed when things grow. I am mostly talking about my garden here, but yes I am still amazed that a baby can grow inside my body and then continue to grow once it's on the outside.

I recently planted some bulbs in my front yard, some strawberry plants in my square foot garden and some zucchini seeds in our hostile back yard. They are all coming up. I am amazed. I am feeling giddy about these things. The fact that the zucchini managed to pop up out of our harder than a rock dirt impresses me the most. I am second most impressed by the bulbs coming up, as I wasn't even sure I was planting them right.

But I just am so happy that my plants are growing. It is miraculous to me, to think of all that they had to push through to get to the surface. That water got down to them and stirred up life, I can hardly fathom. One of my strawberry plants that I was sure was dead, has started to sprout green leaves and I can hardly contain my joy.

This morning Reenie and I were in our yard, enjoying the in-my-opinion-entirely-too-warm morning, and I was thinking on these things. She was sitting on the two person swing when I decided to join her on the other end. She seemed irritated. She was quick to inform me (I kid you not) that I was "too heavy." She said clear as day, "you're too heavy."

Yeah, she's not even 2. I don't know where she learned the word heavy.

So, yes. The miracle of life. Growing things. Growing bigger, growing taller, growing the ability to insult people.

This is my life.

2 comments:

WarriorWife said...

I love your title. It is such a hook! As in hook a reader in... :)

And I know the excitement you feel for plants. I have a philodendron plant that is growing it's 3rd leaf. Of course, it's taken a year to do that from the cutting. But still, I'm so excited. I just want to stroke it and care for it and watch it. But then I get bored real quick. Too bad life doesn't have a quick time-lapse button, eh?

Anonymous said...

That's the reason I love gardening--the constant cycle of rebirth never ceases to inspire and encourage me.