Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Snore Factor

Okay, so Charming doesn't really snore, thankfully. This is good because my dad snores like a grizzly bear. In fact, we went camping one summer and I was convinced there was a bear outside until I realized it was just Dad snoring away as usual. It's pretty bad.

But not Charming. He doesn't snore. Usually. The one exception is this-- if he is lying on his back, he will snore up something fierce. It is a process, actually. It starts with slow heavy breathing that gets louder and louder until it is a full blown snore. I can usually get him to stop if I tell him in my ever so sweet will-you-quit-the-noise-I'm-trying-to-sleep voice, "You're snoring. Roll onto your side." He pretty much complies. Last night as I lie awake for about 2 hours between 3 and 5, I had to tell him at the loud breathing stage, "Honey, roll over, you're breathing loudly." How picky is that?

My grandpa used to fall asleep in his chair watching television at night. I would bet for probably at least the last ten years of his life he slept his nights in his chair. And he would snore. In fact when he died, and I went to see his body he just looked asleep to me, and I kept expecting to hear his ever familiar snoring sound. The reason I mention this is because E has recently developed a preference to sleep in his chair in his room. Usually I make Charming go in there and put him in his bed, but last night I fell asleep before I could remind him. E spent all night in his chair. Just like Grandpa, but without the snores. Someday he'll have them I'm sure, but thankfully not yet.

And slightly off topic-- why is it that when Reenie (our nigthtime waker-upper) begins actually sleeping all night long, that E must wake up at 3 am demanding milk and songs from his ever so exhausted mother? How fair is it, that said milk getting and singing woke up said mother so much to the point that she (well me, actually) could not get back to sleep for two whole hours? Fair? I think not. But I guess I should just be glad that neither my husband nor my son snore loud enough for me to need to sleep on the couch. I am oh so glad about that.

4 comments:

WarriorWife said...

Snoring is one sure way to wake me up. I hate it. My dad snores badly and when I was in highschool I would wake up to his snores from all the way on the other side of the house downstairs in the basement. Bad. Very Bad.
I better be careful whom I fall in love with. There will have to be a snore survey lie detector test on the 3rd date. :)

Rachelle said...

Mark snores like crazy. I have to push and shove him and such to get him to stop. It sucks!

Lei said...

Oh, the snoring process. I nip it in the bid and tell my hubbie to just fall asleep on hiss ide. Lol!

Kathryn Thompson said...

Heather may have snored when we lived together. I can't say.