Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Don't I Need a License for this?

So I got to thinking last night, thinking about my age and about how I am about to have a third kid, and I thought to myself, when did I grow up? How did I qualify for this job?

And I got to thinking about licenses. In this world, a license is required for many things. Sometimes we take a test, and sometimes we just shell out the dough. So now some lists.

Things we need a license for:

Fishing (no test)
Hunting (not sure about the test)
Driving (test)
Marriage (no test)
Flying (test)
Teaching school (test)
A pet (no test)
Cutting Hair (test)
Taking care of other people's children at a daycare (test?)

Things we do not need a license for:

Mowing the Lawn
$ex (not trying to be crass here)
Having and raising children
Grocery shopping
Tying shoes
Many other things....

Does anyone else find this odd? We need a license to get married, which is major, but we don't need to take any sort of test. We need a license to take care of other people's children, but no license is necessary for having our own children or the act that causes it.

I know this is not a new concept. It may not even be that interesting. But just something I thought I would throw out there. I think I do a pretty good job being a parent, but I think we might live in a nicer world if some parents had to take a test and get a license.

And does anyone else get annoyed with the turnover rate of Hollywood marriages?

5 comments:

WarriorWife said...

My dad said to me once: "I find it interesting that a gal has to get a license to cut my hair, but I don't have to have alicense at all to play around with the electical power for, say, the entire midwest." (he's an electrical engineer, if you didn't remember)

So this is something I've thought of before, and something that doesn't exactly seem logical, but what can you really do? :)

Erin said...

There are many thigns in life that I thing we need to get licenses for. One of which the hubby and I are always talking about is using the self check out at the store. How many times have you been stuck behink some idiot that doesn't know how ot use the thing. That definately tries my patience.

Kathryn Thompson said...

I would laugh to see what sort of government licensing test there would be for parenting. Just think about how lame-o the driver's test is, especially the written portion. I'm crackin' myself up over here thinking about it.

Rachelle said...

Yeah, the no license to be a parent intrigues me greatly. I think there should be a test

Mrs. Andrews said...

Can you believe it? Sometimes I wish there had been a test I needed to take before becoming a parent. There is definitely a lot to learn and I still haven't learned enough!