Friday, February 17, 2006

Let the Games Begin

This post is about three things: The Share the Love Blog Awards, The Olympics and people who are mean.

Well, I haven't said it before, but I have been nominated thrice in the Share the Love Blog Awards. I have tried to put the banner up, but can't get it to work. Anyway. The reason I haven't said anything about it, is because, well, I don't know. I think it's lovely and I am more flattered than anything that someone would actually nominate me, that winning doesn't matter. I am just happy to have more readers and commentors. I am just happy to be. So go ahead and vote for me, if you want to, but being nominated is more than enough for my self-esteem.

And so, has anyone been watching the Olympics? I have watched enough to know that the semi-boring events are broadcast during the day and the good events keep you up until past bedtime. Well okay, so here's the thing: is it Un-American of me to be happy when the U.S. does not win? I just feel bad when we totally dominate since we are so obnoxious as it is-- and cocky. I almost feel more satisfaction when another country wins than when we win a medal. Is this totally weird? I don't know. But I was totally embarassed when the United States walked in during the parade of nations and they were hooting and hollering and one athlete was chatting on her cell phone! Go USA. Go Everyone Else!

And okay. So, mean people. Someone (I won't say who, but you can find out if you read DYM) has decided to be a big meany about the Share the Love Blog Awards. Awards that were set up to not put us into categories, except that of women bloggers. This person is offering her own reward for the person(s) who can correctly categorize the different nominated blogs into Christian, Mormon, and Unknown columns. This is ridiculous. The whole point was to step away from this nonsensy-nonsense, and here she goes stuffing her big meany nose in it. And I don't like to be mean to people or stir up controversy, but come on. She needs to get a flipping life.

And I don't typically talk openly about my faith on my blog, because: 1. I don't need to do so in order to feel like I am a good Mormon (which I am) and 2. that's not what my blog is about. My blog is about my Mommy struggles and my silly ideas about stuff. That's it. I want to connect with all types of people in the areas that we are similar, not exclude people who don't believe the same as me. And it is not because I am out to convert anyone either-- I don't know that that's possible over the internet anyway-- but it is because I like all different types of people and think that EVERYONE has something valuable to say and that all people are of great value. I hope you agree on this point.

So there it is. Let the games begin.

What do YOU think?

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

I think your blog is fun! I cannot believe you are one of those evil Mormons though. I may have to stop reading. Oh wait, I am one too. Never mind that evil part and not reading anymore. Carry on!

Anonymous said...

If you need help with the code,just send me an email. I can help you fix it. onewomansworld (at) gmail.com. Good post. Well said.

sweet mama entropy said...

Too much drama over something that was just supposed to be about sharing the love, huh? I feel sorry for DYM getting dragged into this all over again, but as always she handled it beautifully - as did you, I might add.

Also, I too am a nominee and I too had issues with getting the banner up. I finally got a code to work on my site. It won't link back to Heather's site the way it's written, but I found it easier to just put a link below the banner and do it that way. I would post it here, but it won't let me. If you'd like the code, let me know and I'll email it to you. Hope this helps. And congrats. It does feel good just to be nominated doesn't it?

Stephanie said...

Yes, it does feel good to be nominated.

Kathryn Thompson said...

Ditto, all.

Anonymous said...

You are special, important, beautiful, and I couldn't have said it better. I am proud to be your mom. You just keep spreading the love and those meanies out there will feel it whether they want to or not. God Bless us every one.

Elecorn's Mom