Thursday, December 08, 2005

I'm a Mormon, and Glad about it

Okay, so in the past, I have tried to keep religious talk on my blog to a minimum, lest any should be offended. But after the nasty things that have been said about Daring Young Mom, I am willing to lose all of my readers/commenters to stand up for what she and I (and many others) believe in.

In case you don't know what happened (and most of you probably do, since most of my readers are her readers also) you can go here. But it went down like this: Daring got nominated and became a finalist in the Blogs of Beauty (a Christian blog contest) and even won in the humor category. Yea, Daring! And then she was torn down and criticized by another blogger who said she should not have won since she is Mormon and therefore not a Christian. This was hurtful and mean and unfair. It even made me cry.

Well, let me just say that as a Mormon, I believe in Jesus Christ. I try my best to follow his teachings and live a Christ-like life by service and example. If there is something more to being a Christian than this, than I guess Mormons aren't Christian. I will leave that for you to decide. But, whatever. I believe in Christ and praise him as my Redeemer, Savior and ultimate example of love, service and sacrifice.

And let me tell you something else about Daring. For one thing, though she is LDS, I don't know that I would say she writes a Mormon blog. She writes a very real, and honest MOMMY blog. If she should be kicked out of the contest it ought to be because she doesn't flaunt her faith all over her site. And even though every other word on her blog isn't about Christ, she is as much a believer and follower of Christ as anyone else. She shows her faith by her service to others, by her willingness to sacrifice for her friends and family, and by her morals and standards. She is a wonderful person, and I am so horrified that anyone would attack her in the manner done so. The woman who posted said "nasty things" claims that she is only trying to help people differentiate between Mormons and Christians or something, but that isn't what she's doing. She's hurting beautiful, wonderful people who worship the same Savior she claims to follow.

I am hurt, though not shocked, but yes, appalled. Anyone who believes in Christ, be they Catholic, Mormon, Born Again Christian, or anyone else should support each other with love, tolerance and understanding. Isn't that what Jesus would have us do?

My resolve today, is to be a better human being. To look for more ways to show love and serve others. What are you going to do?

4 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

Thanks Stephanie. I needed this today. Let's go out and knock people's socks off with kindness.

Stephanie said...

You are most welcome.

Ortensia Norton said...

And if they only knew the truth...if one of them won a "Mormon Blog Contest" we'd be happy for them. Good job on spreading good-will no matter your beliefs.

Randi said...

I was saddened by all the fuss too--I think that "The Daring One" won fair and square! I really think it is so cool that you are both being so gracious about this!

God bless you!