Sunday, December 11, 2005

Some random thoughts:

1. This is what I did yesterday in between feeling upset over Reenie being so lethargic for family photos, and having a Princess Pity Party because I felt her illness was preventing Festive Family Fun:



Needless to say, they have been Eaten.

2.Today E and I went to church by ourselves. Charming stayed home with Reenie, who is recovering. So at church, my friend, let's call her Buffy, offered to sit with us in between leading the hymns since her spouse and child were at home. I didn't have a problem with this, in fact I was glad about it, but E apparently did not feel the same way.

He said to Buffy, "NO! Don't sit here. You not sit here. You sit up there, lady."

Lady?

I mean, he didn't know her name so he called her lady. At least I am assuming that is why he did it. I found it borderline rude, yet borderline humorous. Okay, I laughed. I admit it.

Oh, but I was horrified today in church. He talked loudly during a baby blessing, and when I asked him to be reverent he said, (loudly) "No, mom, I don't want to say prayer. No be quiet." Repeatedly. Later when they were going to bless the sacrament I asked him to be reverent and he refused. I tapped him on his hand with my pen, and he then started loudly saying (during the prayer) "Oww, Mom! You HURT E! You Hurt my hand! You hurt E's neck. Don't do that! NO be quiet." (I don't know where he got the thing about the neck.)

I felt like I appeared to be A Very Bad Mom.

But what was I supposed to do? We're supposed to be reverent and quiet and the harder I tried to get him to behave, the more he balked and fought me. Doing nothing would have resulted in, well, possibly less loudness, but no more obedience. What would you have done?

3.Which brings me to another point, some people's kids seem so naturally well behaved. A blessing for them, but they seem to want to take the credit for it. I just love it when I ask people, "well, how do you get your kid to do that?" and they say "oh he just knows that he should or should not." This is the most ludicrous and un-useful piece of an excuse for advice that I have ever heard. Really what it means is, "I don't know, I didn't do it, but saying this makes me sound like a frigging super mom." I just want to punch these people, with their smugness and their thinking they are so great, and their jerky little what's-wrong-with-your-kid? attitude.

Ugh. Incidentally, it's been awhile since I have had one of these encounters. I was just thinking about it today and got all bugged.

4. Since E did his doos in the potty a few days ago, he has pooped in his underwear several times and not once in the porcelain. I am getting so incredibly frustrated. Any ideas? And don't tell me your kid just figured it out. Because whether or not he did or did not, I do not want to hear about it.

No comments: