Friday, December 16, 2005

The post office is making a killing, and they're all going postal

I got a friend to watch E and Reenie, so I could run some non-kid errands today.

First stop: Post Office

It was packed. (Non-intentional, mostly unfunny pun).

When I made it to the front of the line I brought my parcels to Howard, the grumpy man I was hoping I would not get.

He weighs my first, and smallest package:

Howard: How would you like that sent?
Me: (Hmmmm...$26, $17 or $7?) Parcel Post, please.
H: So, you don't want it to get ther before Christmas?
Me: (could you have said that any ruder?) Umm, I don't care.
H: Cause there's a good chance with parcel post it won't get there before Christmas.
Me: (I think my mom and my aunt and uncle will survive) No, parcel post is fine. (Do you think I am made of money, I have two more packages here and did you see the size of the next one?)

Then a lady approached.

Lady: Excuse me, I am sorry but, I put my money into the machine and got stamps but no change.
Howard: (Nasty Look) Okay...
Lady: Well, you see I got this kind and this kind and I used a twenty and I should get like 10 dollars in change.
H: Well, you are just going to have to get in line.

She leaves. Then under his breath and sort of to me he mutters, "What does she expect me to do?"

Oh, Howard. Where's your Holiday Cheer?

So Howard weighs my next two packages and I purchase insurance for one of them. I felt bad for the unjolly man. I wanted to say "Howard, you are doing a great job." But I didn't want to lie to him! He was being a poo-head, what would you have done? I needed stamps too, but did Howard offer me any? No-oo-oo-oo. I was too intimidated by is grumpocity that I didn't even ask him for any, since he had already started swiping my credit card. Instead, I paid for my packages, and then went to stand in line to use the self serve machine to get stamps.

The post office is raking in the big bucks, but apparently Howard is not.

2 comments:

Ortensia Norton said...

Excellent observation of the part of Howard...how much do you think they make? And do you think he's been yelled at when telling people it won't make it by Christmas? Actually, maybe he's like Newman on Seinfeld.

Kathryn Thompson said...

That job would really bite this time of year. I get that too and just smile and wish them a very Merry Christmas. Sometimes it shocks them into smiling.