Sunday, November 13, 2005

Some Random Thoughts

Well, you'll be glad to know, that S seems to have made a full recovery.

(Insert Hallelujah Chorus)

And now a list of randomness.

1. I found myself saying this to E this week: "Yes, it's fun to play trains, but we probably shouldn't play trains naked. Please, let's at least get some underwear on."

2. I have a skin tag/mole near my underarm that looks like this:

My mother is insistent that I get it, and all others like it removed. I am lazy and haven't done it yet. Today in church, S discovered it and found delight in messing with it. I was half scared/hoping that she'd yank it off. I'd put my arm down, and then she would grab my arm again and twist it to get at the mole. I found it cute, in a bizarre sort of way.

3. To get the above picture I stood in front of a mirror with the digital camera. I also said this to Charming, "hey, take a picture of my mole-- it's for the blog." The picture I took is the one you see above, as it turned out better than the one Charming took.

4. One day E was asking us to sing a song about "dooking." We had no idea what dooking was until we realized he was talking about a song called "Do as I'm Doing."

5. Yesterday the children were in the bathroom when Charming suddenly started screaming at them, "Don't do that! Stop that right now!" and he rushed in there. The volume and the excitedness of his voice made me think perhaps our toddlers were playing with knives, or at the very least E was dunking S's whole head in the toilet. I was surprised to learn that they were merely putting their hands in the toilet, and thankfully I had flushed it just minutes before.

6. Earlier this week while on the phone with Daring Young Mom (for probably the third time all week), E put his firehat on top of his battery powered James train. I had to laugh at a plastic firehat just going around the circular track.

7. Does anyone else have a problem with these Bratz Babyz dolls?

I mean, it's bad enough that most of the dolls for girls today are immodest and trendy, teaching kids at a young age to be materialistic and do what everyone else is doing, but these go too far. They are supposed to be babies and their "diapers" look unmistakably like underwear. And they look very un-baby like anyway. So we're not only sending the message to young girls that they need to look pretty and (yikes) sexy at a young age, but that t-shirts and underwear need to be fashionable. Maybe even that t-shirts and undies make an appropriate outfit. Plus, check this out:

This was on a website for them. Does that look innocent and non-sexual to you? Cause it sure as he** doesn't to me! "The Baby Girls with a Passion for Fashion." What the heck? Since when do babies care about fashion? And since when do little girls wear underwear like that? What happened to Disney Princess panties?
Who would buy these dolls for their children?
I am sickened.
Apparently it is never too early to sell sex.

8. I had a cry today. I am majorly bummed that we can't go home and spend Thanksgiving with my family this year. It's a good 10-12 hour drive and the roads are kind of nasty this time of year. I think the thing that upsets me the most is that everyone else around here has plans, because their family eitherlives in the town over, or they only have to drive a few hours to see them. I just wish someone would adopt our family. At least for Thanksgiving, anyway.

9. And so we don't have to end on a sorrowful note-- what is up with those dolls? Please, tell me I am not taking crazy pills here... Is that not just sick and wrong?

3 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

Those dolls are Satan. I get sick every time I see them. BLECH! Your post made me laugh until it made me sad. We're staying here for Thanks and Giving too. Maybe we can spend it with your family and you can spend it with ours.

Heather said...

Those Bratz dolls are some of the scariest things I've seen marketed for little kids. I've never seen them before. Oh please, let the Bean never want to play with them. :):)

Anonymous said...

We should write the Bratz people (MGA Entertainment, Inc.) and tell them. What they're doing is really wrong.