Monday, January 02, 2006

Communication Immaturity: Monday's Confession

During my senior year of high school, I was in a play called "Once Upon A Mattress." It's a Princess and the Pea story and the basic premise is this: no one in the kingdom can get married before the prince does, but the prince's mother (the queen) is very, very picky about who her son should marry. This is how the play justifies the whole premarital sex issue-- people CAN"T get married, so they well, you know, umm.... you get it.
Anyway, my character, Lady Larkin, a lady of the court falls pregnant. The boy who played my, err.. lover, was rather a gross, nerdy fellow. Very nice, but not someone I would ever be in love with let alone, well, you know. And he wore funny stage makeup, so his overly large eyes and red lips were.. well, I digress. So anyway, I had this line where I tell him about my 'situation' and it was this: "I'm going to have a baby." This was the hardest, weirdest, most uncomforable line for me to say. I didn't quite know how to say it, and it never sounded quite right.
I have been having problems with that line ever since.
When I found out I was pregnant with E, my husband and knew beforehand that I probably was. He went with me to buy the test and when it came up with a positive result, I think I said something eloquent like, "Yep, pregnant." When I called my parents I said, "How would you like to be grandparents?" When I found out with Reenie, the presentation was similar.
I've never been able to say it like the way it was worded in that play. I could never say "I am going to have a baby." It just sounds weird. Ad I could never be all cutesy and surprise Charming with it, either.
And this time when I found out, I just took the pregnancy test and then told Charming, "well, go look for yourself" and then he did the announcing. I told my mom flat out, "I'm pregnant." I made my dad guess. What? You didn't know there was a this time? Well there is, and this is how I am announcing it to all of you. I am pregnant. I am going to have another baby.
(Pause, so you can all catch your breath, and pull your lower lip off the keyboard.)
Never would have thought it, eh? And I don't want to read anyone snickering about how I said I was going to wait awhile. Sometimes God has something to say about things...
Ironically, I have never taken a positive pregnancy test at home. I am always on vacation. In fact, I took a test just before we left for this vacation and it was negative. Wild.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Congrats, mi amiga. I'm excited for you. :) Yay!

Erin said...

congrats!!! often times I feel life is a lot of unplanned things, or at least for me.

i feel much the same as you, i have a hard time saying, I'm pregnant. i'm not sure why, because each time it was planned and i was excited! the first time the hubby and i tested together, the second time i didn't want to know, for fear of the negative result, so jermey was the first to know. i just wish (sometimes)i was one of the ladies who knew before hand they were for a certainty, but until i go to the doctor and they say yes, i always kind of wonder. and the rest of the time, which is the majority of the time, i'm just happy i have pretty uneventful pregnancy, and don't ever really feel pregnant, unless the baby is kicking and i know there is something in there, and sometimes the fact that i get bigger.

Ortensia Norton said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I am excited for you.

And it KILLED me to tell everyone we were pregnant when we found out. I could have never told them, but was sure it would hurt someone's feelings:-) Any time I said "I'm pregnant" I felt like I was 16 and having to tell my parents that I'd made this terrible mistake and that my life was over. (b/c it would have been) But I was 25 and married for 21/2 years!! So I totally hear ya. Good to hear that it gets easier to announce...

Kathryn Thompson said...

This is wonderful. Congratulations. You rock! Stop barfing and post again.