Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Controversy in my Town

Okay, so I am not much for stirring up controversy-- voice my opinion when one arises, yes, but starting one--no.

That said, there has been a bit of a local controversy that I just became aware of today because I am sick and have not much better to do than read the paper. From what I can gather from the letters to the editor, this is what happened: a local, wealthy businessman who owns several car dealerships and movie theaters wouldn't show (or canceled a showing of) a homosexually themed movie, based on his moral objections. Some people started screaming bigotry, while still others praised him for his integrity.

Now, my own moral views aside, I feel it is his business right to show or not show whatever movies he wants for whatever reasons he chooses. He owns the theater, he is the boss. He did not go on a campaign against gay people, he just said no to the flick. What's the big deal? (And why do people not know how to differentiate between hating the sin and not the sinner? If I don't like the fact that my mom (or whoever) does whatever, does that mean I don't love my mom? Of course not.)

People are entitled to their opinions, and for the most part can choose their own behavior based on their beliefs. This business owner can do whatever he wants. He can show ten X-rated movies a day, or he can only show Disney flicks if that's what he wants. He is choosing the kind of establishment he wants to run and the kind of clientele he wants to attract just like the owner of a local bar, kiddie gym or family style restaurant might do. I just don't understand why he is getting the flack he's getting just for running his business the way he wants to. And if some other theater decided not to show a G-Rated film because they didn't morally agree with it, I wouldn't care! If it was a movie about my life, and they decided not to show it, I would not make such a big deal out of it, I might not go to that theater, but I wouldn't cry intolerance!

And if people just have to see this film that this man is not showing at his theater, I am sure they can find it somewhere else. They don't have to go to his theater-- that's their right as consumers and they have choices. Just as he has rights and choices as a business owner.

3 comments:

WarriorWife said...

Hear Hear! It reminds me of the bowling alley back home that closed and remodeled and opened as the first SMOKE FREE bowling alley in the county (if not the whole state). There were those who threw a fit because "bowling alleys are supposed to allow smoking"--whatever. The owners made a decision, they marketed that decision, and the alley is doing TONS of business with the families in the area, which is what the owners wanted. Just because you don't get what you wanted or expected doesn't mean you get to throw the "discrimination" card on the table whenever you want to.

Erin said...

We have become a people of intolerance. For some reason people think we have to make everyone happy, and can't hurt anyones feelings. But hello!!!! Wake up call, it's IMPOSSIBLE! If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know, I think you could save the world! If you are a minority you automatically have to be catered to. I belong to a minority, that has a set belief that you should dress modestly. I'm a minority but yet people don't change their style of clothing for me!!! I'm offended! ;) Well honestly sometimes I am, but I'm not going to throw a fit. I have found if it's something that affects and puts a damper on their lifestyle they will take a stand, but if it doesn't and still affects others no big deal. There are so many more things that we should be putting our energy into fighting for, than a movie we might want to see. What about all the children that are abused every day? If all the people who want to put up a fight, at least do it for a good cause, to benefit human kind. I don't care how good a movie might seem, it's not worth fighting to see compared to other issue we as a people face. I could go on and on about this, but I'll stop here.

Daring Young Dad said...

Well said.