Monday, October 10, 2005

Addiction

I think I am officially addicted to the internet. This is a problem as, to coin a phrase from Strong Bad, "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens." I can really spend a lot of time on the internet-- checking e-mail, reading blogs, shopping for things I don't need... Some days I would say I log on to the internet up to 10 times. Most days I do about 5.

It's not a good addiction. It doesn't make me feel good to get on the internet, I often feel worse for having logged on. In fact, it's very possible that my self-esteem is somehow linked to whether or not I have email. I am trying to break myself of this habit. I need to limit myself to once a day. But this becomes a problem, since I rationalize that since it's been multiple hours since I logged on, that I must have more e-mail. Not so, my friends. And thus my self-esteem plummets.

Anyway. If anyone has any ideas on how I can save myself from this plague, let me know.

5 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

This my friend is what we all suffer from. That is why we blog. And you can call me anytime even though I don't live there. You always know where I'll be.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I spend too much time on the computer, too. I've found that if I actually turn if OFF, I am less likely to sit in front of it or check my mail as I walk past. Waiting for it to boot up kind of spoils the spontaneous fun. My children are happier, too, when I play with them more (so I can avoid my houshold mommy chores, of course)!

I jus came across your blog, by the way. Good job!

Stephanie said...

The problem is that I have a laptop that boots up quickly from hibernate. And I actually have to wait for dial-up. My children are happier when I play with them too.

Anonymous said...

Just have your husband take the computer to work with him.

Stephanie said...

Funny, dear.