Thursday, October 20, 2005

Reverse Psychology

E loves his milk.

He still asks for it when he wakes in the middle of the night, and sometimes has a bit before taking a nap. It is his comfort food. He occasionally asks for it before he goes to bed at night, but we don't like to let him have it because of the cavity causing implications. So we have tried to be tough in the past year and a half, and he usually goes to bed without it.

Last night before we said prayers he asked for milk:

E: Milk?

Me: No, you can't have milk. Would you like some water?

E: No water! Milk!

Me: No milk. You can have water. Let's say the prayer.


We then said the prayer together in which E said he was grateful for Jesus and trains. And then:

E: Want some water.

Me: You want water?

E: Yes.

Me: Okay. I'll go get some for you.

E: How about milk?


It was so funny. He said it with this innocent since-you're-going-down-there-anyway tone in his voice. I said no, went and got the water and it was fine. He's pretty clever though-- trying to pull one over on me. Cute.

4 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

That is awesome! What a little con artist.

Anonymous said...

my goofy 19mo girl has found that I am a sucker for the word "milky," and now EVERYONE in the stankin' house calls it that.

Unfortunately I think it's so cute that I AM a little more likely to give in when I hear her breathy little voice singing "Mee-ow-kee, mee-ow-kee, mee-ow-kee!"

Heather said...

What's scaring me is that my 14 month old is already showing signs of manipulation in the same way. HOLY COW! Parenthood is just a leetle bit scary, wouldn't you say?

Stephanie said...

Yes, they are quite the little manipulators. My 14 month old however, has still not figured out the subtle art that her brother has mastered. She contines to bawl her brains out when not getting her way.