Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Book party complaints


I recently signed up to be one of those people that does home-parties, trying to sell things to my friends and neighbors. The choice I have made is to sell children's books. Beautiful children's books that are fun to read, and draw their inspiration from other cultures. Tonight at my home, I had the second of these "home parties." The first one, my debut, I thought turned out okay. Of all my friends and neighbors, four people came. But everyone bought a couple books and I sold about $130 worth of books. Not great, not bad.

Tonight pretty much stunk.

I can say that without fear since the people that came to my event don't read this blog. Or anyone else really, for that matter.

So after shooting for ten people by calling 20, I got four guests. I couldn't give my presentation because I initially had 2 people show up, and numbers 3 & 4 came later. Only two people ordered anything.

Okay, now understand, I myself have a bit of hard time buying into these kind of businesses. (Makes you wonder why I signed on, eh?) I don't really like asking people to buy stuff from me. "Buy this book, so I get dough," just doesn't have the right ring to it. "You don't need it, and probably haven't budgeted for it, but buy it anyway," also makes me a little uncomfortable. It would be much easier if they were strangers. I could pry the money out of the hands of unknowns. The problem is, I invited people who are more or less, like me. If I went to one of these parties, for example, I would have spent, well maybe less than they did, if I could manage it. $10, max. And I probably wouldn't want to host one either-- but no, maybe I would because you can earn free books if you do. Yeah, no one wants to host either. They all say that they like to come to parties, but not host them. Well, if no one hosts, no parties will happen.

I didn't even make enough money on this party to cover the shipping. I can't order this stuff until I have another party, or I will LOSE money on tonight's festivities. I mean, I made like $8. Considering all the planning and phone calls I made, not to mention the actual party itself-- to quote Napoleon Dynamite- that's like a dollar an hour.

So I ask myself, am I an idiot?

No. I am not, because you know what? Even if I don't earn my money back, and never make a profit, I still have $300 worth of beautiful books that my kids love and that I love, and I only paid $125 for them. And I am enjoying this difficult business. It gives me something to do, and I love filling out order forms and delivering orders. (I'm sick, just like the people who love the taste of envelope glue or the smell of tape.) It's helping me step out of my comfort zone and forcing me to talk to people who may reject me. I am learning from it. So it's good. Tonight made me want to cry, but I am okay. I'm fine.

Oh, what was I thinking?

3 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

You are a woman of great bravery. I am taking my step out into the world, hosting a book party this month for Sandra. EEeeeek! Dan can't believe I'm doing it. Wish me luck.

Stephanie said...

Good luck. I'm sure it will be fine.

Kim C. said...

I sold Discovery Toys for 2 years and came out of it with the same feelings:
We got a lot of really great toys at really great discounts.
I stepped out of my comfort zone to do something I had never pictured myself doing.
I met a lot of new people - friends of friends, many of whom became my own friends and acquaintances.
I made a little money - which I was able to use for more really great toys at really great discounts.
I'm out now, and don't anticipate doing home parties in the future, but I'm so glad I did in the past!