Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Little Devil


I wonder about Ethan sometimes. He has a bit of a dark side-- a sometimes delightedness in the sadness of others, and a lack of remorse for his own wrongdoing. For example, we had a playgroup today and one little girl was very, very upset. (She didn't want to share). Her mom took her over by the front door to do a little "discipline," when Ethan runs over to me, his face full of glee, and says, "She's going home!" Then at the end of the playgroup, one little boy fell and hit his head and started to cry. Ethan looks up at him, and while smiling, says "Carston is sad."

Later Ethan decided to push his little sister. I sent him to his room-- he screamed and cried, but dutifully went. When the time out was over, our conversation went like this:

Me: Do you know why you went to your room?

E: Yes.

Me: Why did you go to your room?

E: (matter of factly) I pushed Serena.

Me: (Surprised that he understands) And do we push Serena?

E: Yes.

Me: Tell Serena that you aren't going to push her anymore.

E: (after looking at me like he knows he shouldn't lie) Serena, I not push you anymore.

I just wonder about him sometimes. The other day I noticed that he has stopped eating the crust on his sandwiches. I don't know if he does it because he does not like them, or because he has noticed that his mommy is guilty of leaving the crusts on her plate. Hard to say.

In other news, I just ran the spell check on this blog. It didn't recognize the word playgroup, and thought that perhaps I should replace it with the word pleasurable. Hmmmm....

1 comment:

Kathryn Thompson said...

The spell checker on blogger kind of bites the big one. Alas. The one in my head is even worse. I repost every blog entry at least twice to fix spelling and grammatical errors. I'm sure there are some in here. Ethan's fine. I think it's normal at a young age to be fascinated with others' misfortune.