Monday, October 03, 2005

Cookie Triumph

Today was a great day.

Maybe it's because we started off with family scripture study and prayer. Whatever the reason, for being a pretty average day, it was a dang good day.

At the top of the day's events were some pretty near-perfect chocolate chip cookies that I baked myself. From scratch. In the past I have been fairly chocolate-chip-cookie-making-challenged: my cookies either turn out very flat or very burnt. This is probably because I have a set of air-bake cookie sheets that I love, but are inappropriate for chocolate chip cookies. Using the air- bakes creates flat cookies that take a long time to bake. So when I switch from air-bakes to regular cookie sheets mid-cookie making session, I don't adjust the cooking time, and thus get burnt cookies, in addition to my too-flat cookies.

Today's cookies, however, were close to perfection.

I forsook my beloved air-bake sheets and went with the jelly-roll type cookie sheet. The first batch was beautiful. Fairly uniform in size, not too flat, not too round and golden brown. (Yes, truly golden brown, I wept with joy.) I kept the same cooking time with the second, third and fourth batches. All beautiful. It was a wonderful moment. They tasted great too, and since I had used the reduced fat, reduced calorie recipe you can imagine how I felt. (No, you cannot taste the difference. Seriously.) So now today can officially go down in the history books as the day that Stephanie Marie Smith overcame her cookie-making retardedness. Hallelujah, I have arrived.

No comments: