Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Their name is Mud

Is it right to publishes 2 posts in one day? Within moments of each other? I just have to get this out so that my adoring fan can enjoy it all.

We had a muddy day today.

It rained a lot yesterday, and since our backyard is all dirt, today it was all mud. Why I decided to take them out in this, I don't know. It must have been the pleasurable, I mean the playgroup, that frazzled my brain. Anyway, so we are outside, and I decide to walk around the house to go in the garage and get the shovel, thinking ever so foolishly that my children will stay and wait for me. So as I am coming back from the garage, I see that Serena has trudged through the VERY muddy part along the side of our house where the sun hardly shines. Her shoes are caked. Well, at least one of them is. The other is about 10 feet behind her stuck in the mud. So she is not only very muddy, but shoeless to boot. Then Ethan follows up the same way she came, only he is crying because it is hard to walk where she has been. Duh, she lost a shoe!

So, I get the hose. My shoes are now caked with mud as well. I do not know how I am going to get back in the house without making a mess. (Did I mention that I mopped my floor two days ago for the first time in weeks?) I wash off my bare feet, leave the hose running, step on a cloth diaper (they're great!) and run upstairs to get a towel. My toddlers are yes, still outside. And having a good time too! Serena is now sitting in a mud puddle and Ethan is doing something else muddy. So I get them on our cement "patio" and go in to get a bucket of warm water. Yes, the hose is still on. When I come back Serena is spraying herself.

I sit down Ethan, and remove his shoes and wet pants. Into the bucket he goes. Onto the towel. I sit down Serena. Off come her shoes and ALL of her clothes. Into the bucket. She is up to her diaper, and Ethan comments that she is "sitting down." This should have triggered something in my mind, but no, I take her out of the bucket, leave them unattended and go up for some clean clothes for Serena. When I come down I hear a big sploosh, as Ethan "sits" in the bucket. He is rather upset when I take the bucket away.

So that was pretty much it. It's really quite funny when I think about it. They are so dear, and so mischievous together. I love 'em to pieces. I'm still not ready to have another one though. I saw a cute four month old baby today at the playgroup and all I could think of when I looked at her was how much work she must be. I thought of sleepless nights and not being able to get anything done and I shuddered.

So tonight I've been spraying off muddy shoes in the sink, prying out mud chunks with a screwdriver and then drying the shoes with a hairdryer. And writing two too many blog entries. Fun for me.

No comments: