Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Little People




Got my Fisher-Price Holiday 2005 catalog in the mail today. Always fun. And for those who have been disappointed in the past there is exciting news! The nativity set now has shepherds!
Some observations:

The cover and first page of the catalog are dedicated to the nativity set. The pagan Christmas (Santa etc) then takes up pages 2-7. Why Santa gets more pages is beyond me. Hanukkah Celebration, sadly, has been demoted from last year's full page to an inset on the first page of the current catalog. (Guess they had to make room for the new shepherds). Even though I am not Jewish, I am considering getting this set, since they have a fridge, an oven and a tasty looking spread. Anyway.

So about the new shepherds. Two things that bug me. 1. There is an ugly looking historically inaccurate dog that comes with them. 2. The shepherds are dark skinned while Joseph and Mary are CLEARLY Caucasian. Don't be confused here, I am not racist. I am just unsure why when they decided to make the shepherds more realistic (except for the dog) that they did not "adjust" Mary and Joseph as well.

Other than that I am excited. As soon as Charming gets paid again, I'm getting me some shepherds!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Okay, really want the nativity. Too rich for my blood right now, but a must have someday soon!

Kathryn Thompson said...

I already have the shepherds. AHHH! They came the other day. Now that we have more characters to play with, maybe Baby Jesus will stop going AWOL every two seconds.

Stephanie said...

I sometimes wonder if we don't love them more than the children do...